Congregation Shirat Hayam in Swampscott, MA is a unique, progressive, ruach-filled and inclusive congregation on the North Shore of Boston.
CSH offers multiple pathways to Jewish life, learning, and prayer. We will deliver the most fulfilling spiritual experience and the best childhood and teen education on the North Shore. Every encounter with our congregation leaves you feeling welcomed, connected, and enriched. We embrace our responsibility to invest in strengthening our Jewish community for generations to come.
Over a decade ago, motivated by a shared commitment to ensure the sustainability of Jewish institutions, the determined congregants of two struggling Swampscott, Mass. synagogues chose to join forces and merge rather than to allow their congregations to fade away. Pooling talents and resources, and tapping into the creativity of community members, these pioneers forged a vision for a new congregation. This year, Congregation Shirat Hayam celebrates 13 years of spiritual engagement, rich programming, and continued growth. We provide multiple gateways to Jewish life, learning, and prayer, social justice, celebration, culture and the arts. Our programming allows congregants of all ages to connect individually and collectively in the way that best meets their needs be it through ritual, education, or havurot. Our motto is “radical hospitality”, as we open our doors to welcome all. We are the recipients of an Inclusion grant from the Ruderman Foundation, and our innovative approach has made us a recognized leader in the Jewish community locally, throughout New England, and beyond.
A highlight of Shirat Hayam is the weekly Shabbat SynaplexTM – Every Shabbat morning there is a traditional shacharit service led by laypeople, and a very popular Renewal service led by the cantor, rabbi and musicians. Following shacharit/Renewal, is the choice of traditional Torah service, Nosh & Drash (Torah study/discussion) or Torah Yoga for one hour. Following, is Kaddish, a Healing service, Rabbi’s drash, culminating in our Ruach Rally with full band and a community Shabbat Café (Kiddush lunch). Shirat Hayam has Shabbat school and students, their parents and families, and all congregants join together for lunch weekly. We practice radical hospitality.
Swampscott is a beautiful seaside town 12 miles north of Boston, MA
Outline for the full-time Cantor Position at CSH
· Musical leader – conduct the musical portion of religious services and rites
· Design and execute new, high quality music programming for the members of the congregation, Center for Jewish Education, Center for Early Education
· Design and execute new educational programming for members in partnership with the Center for Jewish Education Director
· Perform Hazzan’s customary duties including pastoral: making appropriate calls/visits to sick and or bereaved members
· Read Torah on Shabbat, Monday and Thursday mornings, holidays and festivals as needed, and train laypeople to leyn as substitutes when appropriate
· Officiate at life cycle ceremonies as required for the congregation and its members
· Lead services with the rabbi on Friday nights, Saturday mornings and Festivals
· Teach b’nai mitzvah students (tutor also available)
· Conduct children’s and family programming
· Work with the Ruach band, professional musicians and choirs
· Conduct High Holy Day services
· Work as a partner to the rabbi, and education directors as well as be a member of the team with expanded staff. Be an integral part of the senior leadership team to further our strategic initiatives, work with lay leadership and committees to help further our goals.
· Freedom to select repertoire.
Shirat Hayam believes that music is a way to the soul and uses acoustic and electric instruments on Shabbat and holidays. The Renewal service on Shabbat morning is unique to CSH in the area. The participants find it a highly important part of their week. It helps them focus on important things (“ourselves, our families, helping others”) and prepares them for the upcoming week. Bringing soulful music to the congregation is of high priority.
Resumes and music files may be sent for consideration to Marla Gay, Search Committee Chair at: CantorSearch@ShiratHayam.org
Marla Gay, Search Committee Chair at CantorSearch@shirathayam.org
About Congregation Shirat Hayam of the North Shore
Details listed above.