Vice President, Engagement
Passion. Purpose. Impact. CJP is at the heart of Greater Boston’s Jewish community, but our reach is felt around the world. We bring together the resources, volunteers, leadership, and expertise to care for people in need, advocate for Israel, and ensure a vibrant Jewish future. Together, we’re helping struggling families find financial stability, making Jewish learning relevant and inclusive, connecting the next generation to Jewish life, and so much more. Our greatest resource is our people — the staff, volunteers, partners and leaders who help make Greater Boston’s Jewish community a welcoming home. It’s this energy and commitment that drive CJP’s mission. We are one of Boston’s oldest and most respected philanthropic organizations and we are currently seeking a Vice President (VP), Engagement.
The VP of Engagement is a new leadership position at CJP that will report to the CEO and will have a key impact on CJP’s overarching success. The individual in this position needs to have a depth of experience working at a senior level in a “Customer” Management/Engagement, Market Segmentation and/or Marketing Strategy, focused on the customer’s experience in a business, non-profit or charity. The person in this position needs to possess the proven ability to work with demographical data, statistics and analysis, and be well versed in effectively using data to help present targeted proposals that truly meet the needs of the community. In addition, s/he must possess and demonstrate superior interpersonal and public relation acumen and should be an inspirational speaker on the topic of engagement.
As with all members of the Executive Team, this person will think strategically (enterprise-wide) and work across CJP in partnership with all areas of the organization; will engage in direct relationships with partners and donors where appropriate; will communicate clearly and compellingly to all stakeholders – both inside and outside the organization; will be an excellent manager of people and able to attract, retain and develop top professional and volunteer talent; will be able to nimbly and effectively develop, implement, evaluate, and adapt business strategies and plans.
The VP of Engagement is also a strategic and active partner with or consultant to the CEO, with primary responsibility for overseeing CJP’s community view, looking from the outside in, and ensuring that all engagement strategies connect with the needs of the community. S/he will ensure that the voices of the Greater Boston Jewish Community are heard and considered in all CJP’s actions, communications, and decisions. S/he develops and implements strategies both within CJP and across the community to dramatically increase the engagement of all segments of our community; s/he will also work to ensure that CJP is inclusive of the diverse needs and interests of the 300,000 members of our community.
This VP position needs to partner closely with his/her leadership peers to shape the vision and mission for the organization and build a robust viable business plan for CJP
- Work closely with SVP Strategy and Impact, SVP of Philanthropy and other CJP leadership to ensure alignment in all CJP activities.
- Work closely with SVP of Strategy and Impact to oversee efforts to improve community-wide engagement with Jewish life, including convening partners, building coalitions, forging common agendas, organizing community awareness, initiating grants and leveraging resources.
- Engage with and develop strong relationships with partner organizations and agencies to better understand their needs and the opportunity to innovatively collaborate to improve engagement in Jewish life.
- Spend significant time outside of the organization with and around the volunteers, donors, community to gain an increased understanding of their backgrounds, interests and needs.
- Identify, convene and mobilize individuals and cohorts to address issues within the community and work towards solutions.
- Work closely with Executive Team and VP of Marketing to ensure that CJP’s voice and overall communications are maximally engaging the entire Jewish community.
- Build CJP’s organizational competencies for two-way communication with our community – in person and through other vehicles (digital, print, etc.) to ensure a more consistent experience of CJP across different segments of our community.
- Collaborate with internal front-line stakeholders to assess their perspective on what’s missing and what’s needed for the community, donors and volunteers.
- Assess and learn from current initiatives and models for donors, volunteers and the community, and partner cross-functionally to develop new ways of thinking and acting throughout the organization to increase engagement.
- Identify, create and test new models for engagement both in CJP and across the community.
- Partner with the SVP Strategy and Impact to ensure the Capacity work is having impact on the experiences of the ‘consumer.’
- Lead CJP in measuring and tracking participation in Jewish life and its impact on individuals.
- Ensure appropriate mechanisms (including data and information) are in place for understanding and mapping the various segments of our community.
- Work across CJP to ensure shared language and understanding of our various market segments, including geography, age cohorts, religious backgrounds, and other key demographic groups (e.g. Russian Speaking community, Israeli community, LGBTQ community and more).
- Deepen understanding of, and oversee measurement process of our market and community, including demographics, patterns of affiliation, and overall trends relating to community, identity, sociology, and other in order to identify focus areas and appropriately measure shifts and to share our data and knowledge with the community for the external benefit
- Participate as a member of CJP Executive Team.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
- BA in related field with MBA or equivalent graduate work preferred
- 5-7 years’ experience in a similar position, responsible for overseeing, driving, promoting and measuring successful customer acquisition and engagement strategies, including minimum of five years working on a senior management team
- Significant knowledge and experience with customer segmentation and leveraging a robust constituent database; knowledge and understanding of data, research, measurement
- Experience working in a matrixed organization, managing agile project management teams that include both formal and informal reporting lines
- Ability to work across the organization and to align others around shared understandings of the community and its various segments
- Understanding and analysis of customer experiences and growing customer engagement, including data and tracking, communications, feedback, and organizational change, segmentation
- Innovative thinker – identifying and creating new models for engagement both in CJP and across the community
- Understanding of trends in Jewish life and the various market segments that make up the Greater Boston Jewish community
- A sophisticated understanding of the broader context, sociology, and trends of American Jewish life preferred
- Expertise or deep knowledge of one or more of CJP’s strategic impact areas preferred
- Deep understanding of communal ecosystem
CJP conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
CJP is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, women, veterans, people of color, and LGBTQ people are encouraged to apply. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
Please use this link to apply: https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=2425471
- Strategic planning and systems thinking
- Ability to engage and support the business on numerous fronts relative to strategic performance management and risk management.
- Outstanding relational skills; ability to establish rapport and gain trust of others
- Outstanding communication skills (written and verbal), and understanding of cutting-edge approaches to two-way communication with the customer
- Ability to actively listen and encourage the open expression of ideas and opinions; shares knowledge and expertise openly
- Ability to analyze problems and opportunities and their impact on the business
- Demonstrated experience leading and motivating cross-functional teams, managing direct reports and managing people informally
- Naturally curious, listens perceptively and conveys awareness
- Ability to convene people around shared problems and mobilize toward solutions
- Highly collaborative
- Understanding of different models of philanthropic strategy and impact
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changes and shifting priorities
- Ability to successfully work/engage in for-profit and non-profit arenas a plus
CJP offers that rare opportunity to tap your skills, talents, and experience to benefit a greater good while you grow professionally. You will work in a dynamic environment, with a diverse group of individuals who share your commitment and enthusiasm. Together, you will make a difference for Jews and non-Jews in Greater Boston and worldwide. We offer competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, and a collegial, family-friendly work and team environment.