Here is an overview of responsibilities of the position.
· Lead Shabbat services. One per month up to ten services
· On a reasonable basis:
o Provide guidance on activities and spiritual practices of TSC and its members
o Be available for the private counseling needs of the membership
o Occasionally participate in some programs such as Book, Movie and Social Justice
As agreed on an ad- hoc basis:
· Lead all of High Holiday Services, potentially at “brick and mortar” location
· Lead a portion of Torah Studies, typically on Saturday morning (typically held monthly)
· Lead services at Holiday and Festival times
We are a community of forty members, a virtual community.
· Must be ordained, or in the final years of study, at a nationally recognized and accredited Rabbinical Seminary- either Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion (HUC-JIR) or an inter-denominational institution that has provided a substantive background in the history, practice and principles of Reform Judaism
· Must be familiar and comfortable with the Union Prayer Book (we use the Sinai 2000 edition), and with conducting services mostly in English, with all Hebrew translated.
· Must be familiar and comfortable with “Classical Reform Judaism”, its spiritual practices, belief system and priorities.
· Must share our commitment to social justice and to unconditional welcoming of all communities, including mixed- marriage and LGBTQ+, in the congregation.
· Must be comfortable with a membership that embraces a variety of perspectives attitudes on Zionism and Israeli politics.
· Prefer 3+ years of congregational experience
About The Shalom Collaborative
The Shalom Collaborative (TSC) worships in the Classical Reform tradition, with its emphasis on ethical practices, interfaith outreach and social justice. We worship from the Union Prayer Book (2000 Sinai Edition) and our Services are conducted primarily in English. We are committed to unconditional inclusion of interfaith families, unconverted individuals and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Members of all communities are integral to our practice.
TSC is a virtual (online) community and has operated with a part-time rabbinic advisor Our worship schedule has included one rabbi led service a month and one lay-led service a month and the traditional Holidays and Festivals.
With the pending retirement of our Rabbinic Advisor, we are seeking a part- time- Rabbi, to take leadership of elements that even our devoted lay cohort cannot provide: to lead us in prayer at Shabbat Services and to provide doctrinal and spiritual guidance to our Collaborative. Our expectation is to continue to make use of the talent and devotion of our members in Celebrations, to complement rabbinically led Services. An ideal outcome would be a genuine partnership with our chosen part- time Rabbi as our practice evolves, and our membership increases.
Many of our members have worshiped together for almost 20 years, and we are a very close spiritual family. We embrace the time together and enjoy in-person celebrations whenever possible a pot luck BBQ, Havdalah on the beach, or group travel to a special event. Jewish study and connecting over Jewish themed shared experiences is our shared passion.