Kehila Chadasha, a progressive, independent Jewish community of about 100 families in the Washington, DC, area, seeks applicants to become our permanent rabbi/spiritual and community leader. We are an inclusive, caring, and egalitarian congregation. This position has a flexible start date in Summer 2024, to be negotiated.
The ideal candidate should be equipped to:
- Guide and participate in Sunday morning gatherings of music, community, and learning, monthly oneg Shabbat and havdalah gatherings for both families and adult-only groups, and in festival and holiday celebrations; working closely with our song leader
- Organize and lead high holiday services
- Officiate at life cycle events
- Provide pastoral counseling
- Help us continue to come back together as a multi-generational community after COVID disruptions
- Engage in youth education in conjunction with our Education Director and the leadership of one or more diverse Jewish communities with whom we partner on youth education
- Work with committees as needed to maintain programmatic and/or community goals
- Communicate with the community on a regular basis
Kehila Chadasha is a community poised for its next phase of growth. The ideal candidate will see this as an opportunity to work closely with the membership, staff, and Board to shape the future direction of the community, retain and grow the membership, and explore new options, including partnerships with other communities to ensure Kehila’s sustainability for its next 45 years. This includes but is not limited to:
- Guiding and re-imagining, where necessary, holiday celebrations and other activities
- Working with staff, board, and committees to help us implement a renewed vision and mission
The candidate will participate in and lead other duties as assigned or as necessary.
Kehila Chadasha is:
* A small community of families, couples, and individuals from a variety of religious and non-religious backgrounds, both Jewish and interfaith
* a member-directed “shul without walls;” we do not own a building
* a community that loves learning, draws from a variety of Jewish movements, and participates in Jewish traditions, culture, and holidays together
* committed to diverse educational programming on history, culture, arts and current events . Recent topics the community has explored include anti-racism, disability, fat phobia, and sexual orientation and gender expression.
* 45 years old and going strong.
The ideal candidate has all or most of the following qualifications:
- Experience as a congregational leader, including ability as an effective prayer leader
- Ability to be a warm, empathetic, and skilled listener who facilitates reflection and discussion
- Ability to form relationships with the adults, teens, and children in our community
- Comfort with multi-access (hybrid) worship services
- Ability to engage with external audiences and communities
- Willingness to live in the Washington, DC metro area for the duration of the term of employment
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and personal identities, including but not limited to those of any disability status, ethnicity, race, sex and gender. Rabbinic ordination is an asset but not required. We understand that no candidate may have all of the skills and experiences we are hoping for, but you are still encouraged to apply if you think you are a good match.
About Kehila Chadasha
Kehila Chadasha, a progressive, independent Jewish community of about 100 families in the Washington, DC, area, seeks applicants to become our permanent rabbi/spiritual and community leader. We are an inclusive, caring, and egalitarian congregation.