We are looking for a versatile, inspirational leader to guide a small congregation of multiple denominations and generations. Adaptability is essential, as you will be serving the varied religious, spiritual, educational, and emotional needs of the OJCA members, and acting as a liaison to the larger community. This is an opportunity to foster a congregation that will develop along with you.
On the shores of Okanagan Lake, Kelowna is a four-season playground, and is the fastest-growing city in Canada.
Surrounded by mountains, trails, parks, glacial lakes, beaches and golf courses, it is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream.
The Okanagan is recognized as a world-class wine region, and boasts more than 120 wineries. In addition, water sports, snow sports, biking, hiking and equestrian activities make Kelowna a popular vacation destination.
Kelowna’s quaint, pedestrian-friendly downtown features an array of excellent restaurants, unique shopping and a vibrant cultural scene. Locals enjoy concerts, performances, festivals and hockey games, among a multitude of other social activities.
Strong schools, post-secondary institutions, a growing technology industry, a large hospital and an international airport complement daily life in this remarkable setting.
All of these amenities and a wonderful sense of community spirit ensure that this city offers something for everyone.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Rabbinical ordination from an accredited program/seminary (Pluralistic or non-denominational training is a plus)
- Congregational experience is a plus, but recent graduates with relevant skills will be considered — we are looking for a leader who will grow with us
- Comprehensive Jewish spiritual and cultural knowledge
- High personal, ethical, and professional standards
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Outstanding leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong background in education
- Adaptability and stress management
- Computer proficiency (social media skills are a plus)
We are committed to supporting our permanent rabbi with a benefits package specific to the needs of the selected candidate.
For a more detailed job description package, or if you have questions, please email the same address.
About The Okanagan Jewish Community Association/Beth Shalom Synagogue
The Okanagan Jewish Community Association (OJCA) is located in the heart of the Okanagan Valley in beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia.
From young families to mature retirees, OJCA members from varied Jewish backgrounds come together to create a welcoming, pluralistic congregation. We are actively involved in the culturally diverse Okanagan community at large, and we are ready for a permanent rabbi to lead us forward into our next chapter.