Join Syracuse Hillel as the Campus Rabbi to help enrich the lives of students and shape the future of Jewish life at Syracuse University. As an authentic Jewish teacher, you will provide leadership for the Hillel community through grassroots community organizing, spiritual connection, and community engagement. You will develop and maintain relationships with students less engaged with Jewish life and will increase the level of involvement and commitment of students in all aspects of Jewish life on campus. Embrace your magnetic personality to inspire students to make Judaism integral to their life choices and expressed Jewish values. Our students are awesome (were genuinely wowed by them daily). Who wouldnt want to cheer alongside the school ranked number one in the country for school spirit?
What Youll Do
· Build relationships with 180 – 200 students per year from diverse backgrounds through meaningful conversations, and by creating connections to opportunities in Jewish life on campus.
· Identify needs of the Jewish communities on campus that are underserved and develop strategies for meeting these needs with proven community organizing and engagement methods.
· Maintain excellent strategic relationships with different organizations and departments on campus as well as in the local community.
· As the Jewish Chaplain at Syracuse University, develop key partners in Hendricks Chapel, the interfaith center on campus, which will be integral to the success of the Hillel. Take an active role participating in interfaith events and weekly chaplain meetings, and provide pastoral care services for students, faculty and staff in crisis.
· Build innovative, pluralistic approaches to Shabbat, holidays, and rituals. Organize and lead egalitarian High Holiday services, holiday programming and Passover Seders, and train students to lead meaningful services for their peers.
· Develop and support vibrant Jewish experiences, one-on-one or small group learning, and educational programs, including immersive trips, as students find relevant. Pilot creative, new educational approaches and initiatives on campus.
· Collaborate with other Hillel senior level staff to shape and develop the mission and educational vision of Syracuse Hillel.
On a day to day basis you will
· Facilitate educational opportunities around campus, including the Jewish Learning Fellowship.
· Meet with students over coffee to co-create Jewish experiences for them and their networks of peers based on their interests, and to offer support and guidance.
· Mentor student leaders as they contribute to Hillel and the campus community in new, creative ways.
· Collaborate with university chaplains and administrators to develop high-level experiences for the campus community around religious and spiritual life.
What Youve Accomplished
· Rabbinic ordination.
· Experience in community organizing, Hillel, youth movements, camping, or experiential Jewish education is a plus.
· Proven success in community building and outreach, and previous experience in program visioning and implementation.
What Youll Bring to the Job
· A strong knowledge base of Jewish content, ranging from traditional Jewish texts to contemporary Jewish wisdom, culture and unconventional Jewish sources.
· Expertise in leading complex conversations about Judaism and Israel in a way that is approachable and meets students at various points in their personal Jewish journeys.
· A commitment to creating an inclusive, vibrant and pluralistic Jewish community.
· A strong entrepreneurial spirit. Things may not always go according to plan, but you must be willing to take risks and learn from your wins as well as your losses.
· Confidence initiating and running programs, and comfort asking questions.
· Creative problem-solving, proactive communication, and collaboration.
· Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel.
What Youll Receive
· Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $ 85,000 - $90,000.
· A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
· Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
· Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel.
About Syracuse Hillel
Syracuse Hillel empowers students to become the next generation of Jewish leaders as they nurture and strengthen their Jewish identity, connection to the Jewish people and the State of Israel. Hillel cultivates the potential within our students to live a meaningful and productive life guided by Jewish values and wisdom. Syracuse Hillel has gone through unprecedented growth over the past several years. The partnerships with Syracuse University stem from the highest levels of support from the Chancellor, Dean of Hendricks Chapel, and administration to ensure Hillels success. Syracuse Hillel also benefits from strong partnership with the Jewish Federation of Central New York and with Hillel International, who provides resources and leadership to help Syracuse Hillel achieve excellence. Syracuse Hillel already engages about 40% of their 2,500 Jewish undergraduate students at Syracuse University. As the Campus Rabbi, you will strengthen Hillels ability to meet the needs of Jewish students and create vibrant Jewish life on campus. Youll also join a stellar team of energized staff who focus on excellence, collaboration, professional development, and a thirst for knowledge.
Syracuse has an accessible and engaged Jewish community which supports a Jewish day school, JCC, Jewish Home, Reform temple, two Conservative synagogues and an Orthodox synagogue. There is plenty of kosher food sold at multiple supermarkets. The Campus Rabbi will sit on the Syracuse Rabbinical Council.
In Syracuse, youll enjoy all four seasons, trips to the beautiful Finger Lakes region in the heart of New York wine country, an abundance of winter sports, summer afternoons at the Great New York State Fair, the best in ACC athletics, and an emerging Syracuse food scene.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Syracuse Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.Hillel.org/Jobs and include your resume and cover letter.
New Applicants: Select Apply for this Position to submit your application and create an account.
Previous Applicants: Scroll to the Previous Applicants section. Please input your e-mail address and password to login, and select Add to My Jobs to login and submit your application.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/vxtss4nfg3kjtct3
About Syracuse University Hillel
About Syracuse Hillel
Syracuse Hillel empowers students to become the next generation of Jewish leaders as they nurture and strengthen their Jewish identity, connection to the Jewish people and the State of Israel. Hillel cultivates the potential within our students to live a meaningful and productive life guided by Jewish values and wisdom. Syracuse Hillel has gone through unprecedented growth over the past several years.