We are looking for a dynamic, compassionate rabbi to serve as SZBE’s full-time spiritual leader. The responsibilities of our rabbi are:
- to lead our religious services in a meaningful way and to deliver inspiring, thought-provoking sermons.
- to provide pastoral services and life-cycle support to congregants
- to connect and build relationships with members of all ages and to play an active role in outreach to both current and prospective members.
- to offer educational opportunities to enhance members’ understanding of Jewish issues, history, and traditions
- to collaborate with the Board and other clergy to fulfill the mission of the synagogue
We are seeking a rabbi with:
- strong interpersonal, pastoral, communication and leadership skills
- in-depth knowledge of Jewish rituals and Halacha
- ability to lead religious services in an uplifting manner and to deliver meaningful and relevant sermons
- expertise in building relationships with congregants of all ages, in fostering member engagement and doing outreach to both members and non members
- strong team player
pension contribution, major medical insurance, convention allowance
Maxine Bercovici and Suzanne Grant
Co-chairs, Shaare Zion Beth-El Rabbi Search Committee
About Shaare Zion Beth-El Congregation
We are a Conservative, egalitarian synagogue with approximately 750 family members. We are located in central Montreal, which has a vibrant Jewish community with several Jewish day schools, kosher restaurants, butchers, bakeries and grocery stores, social service agencies and cultural organizations.
We hold services on Shabbat mornings and twice daily Sundays through Friday. We have a professional choir which accompanies our cantor on holidays and on various Shabbatot throughout the year.
Our synagogue offers a warm and welcoming community which values egalitarianism, inclusiveness, member engagement and lifelong learning to enhance spiritual growth and well-being. The provision of support throughout the lifecycle is an integral part of our mission. In 2022 our Board adopted the policy that our clergy could officiate at same sex marriages in our synagogue, as long as both partners are Jewish.
We offer a diverse array of social and educational programs for children, adolescents and adults of all ages, as well as holiday themed parties and celebrations. We have a B'Nai Mitzvah program and Junior Congregation, led by our dynamic Cantor.