Seaside Jewish Community values the following in our Religious/Spiritual Leader:
Inclusivity of fellow Jews and those of other faiths.
A love of education, study, and learning.
Sees Seaside Jewish Community as a Family/Community.
Flexibility in practice, yet a reverence for tradition.
Appreciation of interfaith efforts throughout the community.
Leadership and administrative acumen
Discretion and integrity in dealing with each and every member of the community.
Traits the Religious/Spiritual leader must:
Be a confident yet modest leader.
Be an exemplary communicator.
Exude strong Bima skills including musical/chanting expertise.
A charismatic, motivational, and inspiring personality.
Possess trustworthiness and honesty.
Be approachable for the congregants and the greater community.
Be educated formally and informally in Jewish and secular matters.
Possess spirituality, joyfulness, and a sense of humor.
Be compassionate and insightful.
Qualifications the Religious/Spiritual Leader is expected to:
Approve of and be supportive of our current state and culture of Seaside Jewish Community.
Abide by our community’s core values and policies.
Continue and expand the building and growth of our community’s interfaith alliances.
Have a musical appreciation and encourage creativity as well as traditional approaches to services.
Lead lifecycle events and services overseeing the worship program.
Be willing to accept a part-time position with flexibility.
Attend Board meetings and a variety of committee meetings.
Possess strong leadership skills.
Read, study, and love Torah.
Have outstanding pastoral skills for individuals and groups.
Embrace and respect our diverse community.
Live full time in the community.
Become involved with the variety of programming at Seaside Jewish Community including, but not limited to social activities, adult education, youth education, internal community service, and external community action.
Education: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with some pastoral training. Preferred: At least one unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) and a Masters degree in a Jewish Communal Service field
Reporting Relationships: This person will be an Independent Contractor directly responsible to the Board of Directors and the President of the Congregation.
Job Summary: As a valued member of the community, our Religious/Spiritual Leader will have the values, traits, and qualifications as defined by this document as well as the ability to (in priority order depending on time):
1. Work with the Worship Committee to organize and manage the worship component of Seaside’s program. Prepare the annual worship calendar, develop service content, lead many, but not all, of the worship services including High Holy Days, secure other worship leaders and service participants as needed.
2. Respond to requests from Seaside members to officiate at life cycle events that will take place in the Rehoboth, DE area including, baby naming’s, B’nai Mitzvah services, and bereavement support activities such as funerals, memorial services, and Shiva services, where the SJC member is a direct mourner.
3. Respond to requests from Seaside members on Jewish holidays, rituals, practices, law, theology, and other Jewish content.
4. Work with the Chesed committee to organize hospital visits and home visits to Seaside members who are ill and offer support to Seaside members experiencing the death of a spouse, parent, child, or sibling. Provide pastoral and spiritual support to Seaside members requesting such support. Seaside’s Religious/Spiritual Leader shall not provide psychological counseling unless licensed to do so. The Religious/Spiritual Leader may provide Spiritual and Pastoral Counseling if trained to do so. Religious/Spiritual Leader must carry $1,000,000 professional liability coverage at his/her own expense.
5. Work with the Community Services committee to further interfaith programs and relationships. Be Seaside’s representative in the Sussex County and Delaware religious communities.
6. Work with the Youth Education Committee and the Religious School Director on scheduling B’nai Mitzvah, on the worship component of B’nai Mitzvah, and on integrating students into the Seaside worship program.
7. Teach adult education classes in conjunction with the overall Adult Education program as defined by the Adult Education Committee.
8. Consult with other Seaside committees as needed on questions of Jewish law and theology.
9. Other duties as requested by the Board of Directors.
Seaside Jewish Community supports and fosters Jewish identity by sponsoring religious, cultural, social and educational activities for its members. We welcome all people willing to support these principles in the spirit and joy of Jewish communal life.
Qualifications are part of the above document.
Dr. Jeff Hawtof, Chair