Make an impact on Jewish student life by joining Brown RISD Hillel as our first ever Senior Jewish Educator to help enrich the lives of students and shape the future of Jewish life on campus. You will work closely with a tight-knit student interfacing team that prioritizes relationship-based engagement and a spirit of collaboration. This role positions you to shape the Jewish journeys of the incredible students at Brown and RISD, who are eager to make Jewish exploration and growth part of their overall educational experience. You will be a partner and guide in their intellectual, spiritual, emotional, political, and cultural exploration of Judaism and campus life. You will provide leadership for the Hillel community through grassroots community organizing, spiritual connection, and community engagement; you will develop and maintain relationships with students less engaged with Jewish life and increase the level of involvement and commitment of students in all aspects of Jewish life on campus. You’ll have an opportunity to inspire students to make Judaism integral to their life choices and expressed Jewish values.
What You’ll Do
- Identify needs of the Jewish communities on campus that are underserved and develop strategies for meeting these needs with proven community organizing and outreach methods.
- Build relationships with approximately 180 – 200 students from diverse backgrounds through meaningful conversations and by creating connections to opportunities to participate in Jewish life on campus. A significant portion of these students should be previously uninvolved in Jewish life.
- Mentor student interns and volunteers as they contribute to Hillel and the campus community.
- Develop and support vibrant Jewish experiences, one-on-one or small group learning, and educational programs, including immersive trips, as students find relevant. Pilot creative, new educational approaches and initiatives on campus.
- Work with junior level staff on their own Jewish knowledge, self-confidence and educational skills.
- Collaborate with other Hillel senior level staff to shape and develop the mission and educational vision of Brown RISD Hillel.
- Share responsibility with the Rabbi for meeting with students 1-on-1 (spiritual seeking, classes, papers, general life advising, trauma, bereavement, grieving etc.)
- Partner with the Rabbi on programmatic oversight of Shabbat and holidays (leading one of our Passover seders and High Holy Day services.)
- Cultivate and train prayer leadership and help to ensure sufficient prayer options on Shabbat and holidays.
What You've Accomplished
- Rabbinic ordination or an advanced degree in Jewish studies, Jewish education or a related field.
- Proven success in community building and engagement, and previous experience in program visioning and implementation.
- Training and experience in counseling, administration, development/fundraising is desirable.
What You'll Bring to the Job
- A strong knowledge base of Jewish content, ranging from traditional Jewish texts to contemporary Jewish wisdom, culture and unconventional Jewish sources.
- Expertise in leading complex conversations about Judaism and Israel in a way that is approachable and meets students at various points in their personal Jewish journeys.
- A commitment to creating an inclusive, vibrant and pluralistic Jewish community.
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit. Things may not always go according to plan, but you must be willing to take risks and learn from your wins as well as your losses.
- Confidence initiating and running programs, and comfort asking questions.
- Creative problem-solving, proactive communication, and collaboration.
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel.
What You'll Receive
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel.
About Brown RISD Hillel
Brown RISD Hillel, the center for Jewish life at both Brown and the Rhode Island School of Design, is an integral part of campus religious, social, cultural, educational, and political life. Brown RISD Hillel encourages and supports a diversity of students as they explore, develop, and deepen their Jewish identities. We are committed to having Judaism serve as a source of meaning and growth during students' time on College Hill and in their lives after graduation. Brown RISD Hillel operates from the award-winning Glenn and Darcy Weiner Center, a 25,000 square foot facility in the heart of Brown's campus. Brown RISD Hillel was the winner of the Great Place to Work Award from Hillel International in 2014. See www.brownrisdhillel.org for more information.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with students that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders. Brown RISD Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International.
Brown RISD Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
This position is funded by Combined Jewish Philanthropies' Birthright Israel Campus Initiative.
Apply at www.Hillel.org/Jobs and include your resume and cover letter.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/b63tp2x56rfrdfp8