Rabbinical Job Description
Temple Beth El of Patchogue is a progressive Egalitarian Conservative synagogue that welcomes interfaith families. We are open to all sects of Jewish faith and are looking to grow by attracting new members through innovative programming, interesting and enlightened services and creating a home away from home for our congregants.
Rabbi shall act as the Spiritual Leader for the Congregation in addition to providing guidance and rulings on Jewish laws and customs in conjunction with the Ritual Committee. The Rabbi shall also provide Pastoral needs to the membership and manage the daily prayer, education, and participate in programing of events within the congregation. In the role of a Pulpit Rabbi the contractual agreement and the By-laws of Temple Beth El will be followed.
The following is an Outline of responsibilities:
– Supervise, attend and be responsible for all Religious Services
– Attend Daily Minyans as scheduled
– Lead services as delegated by the Ritual Committee
– Participate in reading Torah and Haftarah
– Deliver meaningful and inspiring sermons
– Supervise Kashrut standards for the synagogue
– Support Congregant Needs
– Perform all Life Cycle events/ceremonies, such as funerals, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and shiva minyans
– Provide counseling and guidance to congregants
– Visit congregants when hospitalized and home-bound
– Actively involved in the education program of the Hebrew School
– Teach B’nai Mitzvah lessons to include Torah reading, Haftarah, Teffilin, performing services and rituals, etc.
– Expand the Adult Education Program, including instructing classes on selected topics eg: Torah Reading, Hebrew, Rituals, Kabbala, etc.
– An aggressive campaign to Increase membership
– Provide programs of interest for new members
– Participate in Community activities
– Reach out to potential members who have attended services and events.
– Oversee and direct fundraising activities as needed
– Work closely with committees in the creation and execution of programs to engage both members and non members.
– Develop and implement programming for post B’nai Mitzvah children
Patchogue is a beautiful waterfront community on the south shore of Long island,that is going through a tremendous revival. Vibrant main st., and a growing business district make this a great place to live and work.
Proper rabbinical training, some experience, and the passion and desire to help grow our congregation.
Housing and health insurance are both available