Florida International University is seeking an energetic and entrepreneurial leader to direct the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. The Executive Director, reporting to the Provost, will bring vitality and direction to the museum, working closely with the museum’s Advisory Board and staff, university administration, faculty, and students, as well as external partners, to enhance the museum’s cultural and educational mission; to augment its financial resources; and to develop and implement short- and long-term strategic plans. The Executive Director must be creative and passionate, able to define and implement a dynamic vision for the museum, and must possess demonstrated skills in fundraising, financial management, audience development, and decision-making. The Executive Director serves as the organization’s spokesperson to all constituencies, both external and
internal, increasing awareness of the museum by clearly articulating the museum’s ambitious goals and programs. The new Executive Director must be a bold, experienced, entrepreneurial, and visionary thought leader with the drive, focus, and energy to highlight, develop, and expand the museum’s areas of strength.
For more information about the position, visit www.mcaonline.us and
for more information about the museum, visit https://jmof.fiu.edu.
• Seven to ten years of responsibility in a museum or a related organization with the past five years in a leadership position; a master’s degree in an academic field that relates to the collections, mission and/or operations of the museum is required; a PhD is desirable.
• Proven fundraising experience and success in generating funds for exhibitions, programs and capital projects.
• A deep understanding of the role of a museum in university education and campus life and a commitment to working with faculty and students.
• Ability to garner the support of volunteers and recognize their contributions.
• Strong managerial, fiscal, and administrative abilities.
• Ability to lead dynamically, passionately, and energetically, and to manage, position, market, and develop an organization.
• Experience in expanding the museum’s role within the community.
• Understanding of and commitment to the research and teaching mission of an academic museum.
• Ability to build on the relationship with the University by working closely and effectively with the Provost, Academic Units, as well as FIU’s museum directors and faculty members.
• Experience in working as a Museum Director with community-wide cultural and educational institutions and a desire to create partnerships throughout the community and in the region.
• Ability to communicate in a simple but persuasive manner, to work in sensitive situations, and to present and represent the museum to internal and external constituencies.
• A good speaker, writer, and strategic thinker who is as comfortable with faculty and students as he/she is with donors and the general public.
• A reputation for the highest level of integrity and credibility.
Send resume and cover letter indicating interest, qualifications, and list of three references to:
Management Consultants for the Arts, Inc.
Attn: Linda Sweet or Bill Appleton
Email only: Mcawall2@gmail.com
Subject line: JMOF-FIU