Central Florida Hillel (CFH), the largest Hillel in the state of Florida and one of the most exciting and entrepreneurial Hillels in the country, is seeking a dynamic Senior Jewish Educator (SJE) to transform our community with their own vision and strategy. We’re looking for a passionate, outgoing and engaging SJE who will inspire and guide the Jewish students on the campuses of Central Florida so that they will actively engage in the process of building and sustaining vibrant, meaningful, and pluralistic Jewish campus communities. The SJE is a member of the senior management at CFH. This individual plays a key role in building Jewish community through meaningful conversations, collaborative ventures, educational experiences, and innovative approaches to religious life.
The SJE will reach out to students and help them understand their Jewish journey as they move from “renting” to “owning” their Jewish heritage and values. They will be experienced in engagement work and a natural connector–someone who thrives on building relationships. They come with a love of Shabbat, holidays, Jewish learning across a wide spectrum of sources and denominations as well as a passion for Israel and Jewish Peoplehood. The SJE will create “meaningful Jewish experiences” throughout campus, and will bring their Jewish experiences and content to all types of CFH programming. The SJE will also will work alongside CFH staff to build personal relationships with hundreds of Jewish students throughout the school year. They will do this through storytelling, shared experiences, meaningful Jewish conversation and experiences.
The SJE will operate under the direction of the Executive Director and CEO as part of the Senior Management team at CFH.
What You’ll Do:
The primary responsibility of the SJE is to build relationships with 150-200 students annually, engaging them in meaningful conversations and offering them a variety of Jewish experiences. This will include meeting students in one-on-one meetings, leading small group discussions, planning events, and staffing immersion experiences to Israel (1-2 times per year) or other venues. In this capacity, the SJE will also work with CFH staff to help facilitate and create a wide variety of Jewish learning experiences and serve as a resource for engagement interns who are charged with building relationships with peers and connecting them to Jewish life. Other responsibilities include:
· Ensure a pluralistic and welcoming atmosphere by strengthening the multiple worship and learning options offered by CFH.
· Help students create regular, warm, welcoming, and inspiring ritual experiences for their peers.
· Lead, coordinate, implement and evaluate all aspects of major Jewish holiday programming and observances on campus, including High Holidays and Passover.
· Attend and participate regularly in Shabbat and holiday celebrations at Hillel.
· Work with the Executive Director and CEO to craft an educational vision and strategy for CFH, creating innovative opportunities for formal, informal, and experiential Jewish learning for students with diverse backgrounds and interests that include a multiplicity of Jewish perspectives that span the spectrum from spiritual to secular.
· Teach regular classes and study one-on-one and in small groups with students.
· Create new educational opportunities, both formal and informal, and develop corresponding curriculum and structure.
· Organize social justice projects, in collaboration with other communities on campus.
· Inspire and advise peer-education and informal education efforts.
· Engage the campus in Jewish conversation through social media and other creative means beyond frontal learning.
· Serve as a Jewish educational resource for Hillel staff and student leaders.
· Serve as lead educator for Hillel immersion journeys, including Taglit-Birthright Israel trips and Alternative Student Break experiences.
· Proactively form meaningful relationships with students from a variety of Jewish backgrounds, including students less involved in the organized Jewish community, and create opportunities for them to deepen their participation in the life of the Jewish people.
· Mentor current and emerging Hillel leaders, deepening their facility with Jewish practice and thought and enhancing their leadership skills with the goal of creating leaders who lead “Jewishly” rather than mere “Jewish leaders.”
What You’ll Bring to the Job
· An authentic and compelling Jewish personality – you will be a living model of how to live an integrated Jewish life, and will be, just by the force of your own Jewish personality and story, an inspiration to Jewish students on a variety of levels.
· An ability to model and teach others (particularly the CFH Staff and CEI interns) how to create AND integrate opportunities for meaningful Jewish experiences into a wide range of both existing and new CFH initiatives.
· An ability to teach students how to lead services, prepare texts for learning, and approach bringing biblical and non-traditional Jewish textual sources to life and accessible relevance.
· Strategic community organizing. You will think strategically about how to reach and impact students not involved in the traditional networks and will utilize methodologies in order to manage and strategize for success.
What You’ve Accomplished
· Rabbinic ordination.
· A minimum of three years of Jewish communal work in the areas of Jewish education, youth group, camping, informal education and the like.
· Master’s degree in Jewish Education is a major advantage.
· Knowledge and/or prior work experience with Hillel is a plus, but not required.
What You’ll Receive:
· Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
· A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
· Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
· Travel abroad, particularly to Israel.
· Unlimited paid coffee dates with students.
· Amazing stories of students you inspired to lead Jewish lives.
· Some of the most enthusiastic and entrepreneurial colleagues in the entire Hillel system.
About Central Florida Hillel:
With an estimated 6,000 Jewish students, Central Florida Hillel serves not only one of the largest Jewish campus populations in North America, it is also emerging as one of the most exciting Hillels in the country with a brand new building that opened in the fall of 2013. Hillel is located inside a luxurious 600-bed student apartment complex across the street from campus. The facility boasts a health club, outdoor pool, beach volleyball, a rooftop garden, sun deck with an outdoor movie theater, and sauna. The complex is designed to be a “Google-like” facility that inspires creativity and innovation. The Hillel also serves the students of Rollins College, a top small liberal arts college approximately 20 – 30 minutes from UCF.
About Hillel International:
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission, and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Central Florida Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel.
Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter.
New Applicants: Select “Apply for this Position” to submit your application and create an account.
Previous Applicants: Scroll to the “Previous Applicants” section. Please input your e-mail address and password to login, and select “Add to My Jobs” to login and submit your application.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/w4v44bgvbkrvsn4t
About Central Florida Hillel
Central Florida Hillel (CFH), the largest Hillel in the state of Florida and one of the most exciting and entrepreneurial Hillels in the country