The Director of Leadership Engagement will craft, launch, and implement the strategy and design for Encounter’s Leadership Network: a growing community of senior American Jewish leaders with diverse religious and political perspectives who have participated in Encounter’s Intensive Leadership Seminars. The target candidate will support members of the Network in service of more constructive engagement and leadership on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The Director of Leadership Engagement will be a key external-facing member of Encounter’s growing team. The successful candidate will possess excellent interpersonal capabilities, an ability to interface with leaders from every point across the Jewish communal spectrum, and strong identification with Encounter’s values. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit who possesses deep knowledge of the American Jewish community, complexities related to the Israeli- Palestinian conflict, and the interplay between the two. This individual also has an intimate understanding of the current ecosystem of organizations working on this issue across the political spectrum, both in the United States and in the region.
- Launch the newly developed strategy and design for the Leadership Network;
- Direct the day-to-day operations building out programmatic details, sequencing the stages of roll out, and messaging effectively to its members. This includes strategy, vision for and oversight of:
- First-ever 2-day Leadership Convening in NYC (spring or fall 2019);
- Regional convenings of Network members in major cities;
- Convenings of members adjacent to conferences (J Street, AIPAC, GA, );
- Online educational sessions (webinars);
- Online Leadership Network Communal Forum (listserve);
- Other programming and general support for Network members;
- Supervise the Network Manager and work together to set up systems necessary to run and support the Network;
- Hone indicators for assessment of the Network;
- Ensure Encounter’s values and culture are reflected in all aspects of the Network and its activities;
- Convene and lead the Encounter Senior Team for internal visioning and design adaptation related to the Network;
- Cultivate and develop strong relationships with key leaders and support them through consultation to act and lead effectively;
- Work in close partnership with Network members who are serving as internal leaders within the Network.
- Minimum 10-12 years of experience in Jewish communal leadership;
- Knowledge and experience with strategic planning, program development, and community building;
- Background and deep experience as an educator;
- Experience supervising staff;
- Experience with community organizing a plus;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills;
- Self-starter who enjoys launching new initiatives and charting new waters;
- Quick, creative, entrepreneurial, and flexible, with the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities;
- Strong strategic thinker; organized and detail oriented;
- Comfortable working both independently and as part of a high performance team;
- Grounded leader with poise, a strong professional demeanor, and an ability to both listen deeply and lead with authority;
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills; and
- Humility, a sense of humor, and an appreciation for nuance.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Encounter. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.
Encounter is an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family status, sexual preference, status with regard to public assistance, mental or physical impairment, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For immediate consideration, please send your resume and cover letter (PDF format) to email@example.com and indicate your name and “Director of Leadership Engagement” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.