Shir Hadash is an active and dynamic 180 family Reconstructionist Congregation serving the North and Northwest suburbs of Chicago. We are looking for a charismatic leader to energize and advance our innovative, liberal Jewish religious school.
Our ideal education director believes in creative, informal, and active learning; incorporates the music and the arts as well as technology into education; develops a learning environment that inspires students to be active participants in Jewish learning, and allows students and their families to strengthen Jewish identity and experience Jewish learning as part of a vibrant, meaningful, living experience.
The religious school meets once a week, for approximately 3 hours on Sunday mornings. Grade levels are K through 7th. There is also an 8th grade and a high school program which currently meets monthly on Sunday afternoons. The Madrichim program provides teaching assistants for the classrooms. Approximately 50-60 children participate in the K-7 education program plus a dozen high school madrichim.
• Develop and implement a Judaic, Hebraic, and Israel curriculum for K-7 religious school in collaboration with the Rabbi, Faculty, and education committee. Review and update the curriculum annually.
• Develop and implement 8th grade and High School program with the Rabbi.
• Develop and supervise the Madrichim Program.
• Develop and implement family education programs.
• Recruit, interview, hire religious school teachers.
• Evaluate teachers, documenting the evaluation and feedback, and providing oral feedback to the teachers.
• Lead monthly school staff meetings.
• Meet individually with teachers regularly throughout the school year.
• Evaluate and update school/parent handbook annually.
• Prepare, present and maintain the annual school budget.
• Prepare the annual school calendar.
• Provide professional development for religious school teachers.
• Lead outreach and recruitment for potential students and their families, helping to grow the school community.
• Communicate effectively with children, parents, staff, and congregation.
• Meet with Shir Hadash Board to present updates and information as necessary.
• Master’s or equivalent experience in Jewish Education, education, or Jewish studies preferred.
• Familiarity with Reconstructionism preferred.
• Knowledge of Jewish History and Civilization, Hebrew Language, Jewish literature, values, and texts.
• Competent with Microsoft Office, ability to learn new technology, computer programs, and social media.
• Passionate about fostering Jewish identity and inspiring connection to Jewish culture and civilization through education and learning.
• Become a leader in our synagogue community and would be encouraged to develop as a leader in the greater Chicago area Jewish community.
• Act as a bridge between the school and other aspects of congregational life and programming.
• Ability to speak at Congregational meetings, Board meetings, events and religious services.
• Ability to work with the Board and Committees to advance the school and Congregation.
• Consult with the Rabbi with respect to Adult Education.
• Have experience with Jewish summer camping and Israel travel programs, and encourage students and families to participate.
• Part time position with flexible hours. Exact number of hours to be determined in consultation with the candidate, but anticipated to be approximately 50% of a full time position. We are open to considering a full time position for candidates with skills to also be an Executive Director or Office Manager.
• Position includes a budget for continuing education.