Neve Shalom of Metuchen, NJ is a Conservative congregation that honors tradition while appreciating innovation. We seek a part-time Religious School Education Director. The individual should be creative, organized, and motivated to partner with our team to continue to grow a culture of learning for students and families. The successful candidate will work closely with the professional staff and lay leadership and will encourage parent, student and community involvement. Reports to Education VP, Synagogue Director for administrative matters; and collaborates with Rabbi and Hazzan as needed.
Our program meets Tuesdays and Sundays and includes family programming, occasional Shabbat involvement as well as the High Holidays and other holidays for grades K – Hebrew High. The school year runs September through May. The job is a 12-month position.
Educational Job duties include:
• Develops and implements curriculum, courses of study and special programs.
• Partners with educational staff to plan and implement whole school and family experiences that promote deep learning and relationship building.
• Management of day to day operations when school is in session, overseeing room setups, supply needs. Set up of the school year calendar. Purchase of books if required.
• Serve as lead teacher for Hebrew High program. Provides hands-on support to teach or co-teach initiatives as needed.
• Hires, supervises, and evaluates teachers and teaching assistants (madrichim program) and substitute teachers, in collaboration with Education Administrator
• Communicates with parents, synagogue leadership, congregants and the greater community through the use of monthly bulletin articles, e-mails, flyers, social media.
• Organize and lead field trips/ activities, family programs.
• Provides professional development for teachers/madrichim through regular faculty meetings.
• Meets monthly with YLT (Youth Learning Team), a parenting committee for the exchange of ideas and feedback.
• Supports fundraising efforts to enhance the school budget.
• Works with the professional team to prepare and maintain necessary school schedules, family records, financial records, and budgets.
The successful candidate will be comfortable working in a collaborative environment and appreciate the benefits of working as part of a clergy, professional and lay team. The ability to multi-task, as well as possessing excellent organizational skills and advanced computer skills – especially Microsoft Office – is expected in this position. Professional and empathetic in interpersonal relationships.
The ideal candidate will be warm and caring and enjoy working with small children, as well as tweens and teens. Creative and motivated, with strength in developing relationships.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree, prior teaching experience, appreciation of the theology and practices of the Conservative movement and knowledge of teaching basic Hebrew and prayer. Prior administrative or management experience is beneficial. Minimum 2 plus years’ experience as Education Director is required in an education-based setting. Position has potential to grow to Full-time.
Salary: $36,000 – $40,000 commensurate with experience.
Qualifications: Minimum 4 year’s teaching experience and 2 years plus as Education Director
Salary Range $36000 to $40000
250 Grove Avenue
Metuchen , New Jersey 08840
About Congregation Neve Shalom
Neve Shalom in Metuchen, NJ is a Conservative congregation that serves Middlesex County and the surrounding areas.