Congregation Agudath Achim is a welcoming, inclusive, progressive, non-affiliated synagogue located in Taunton, Massachusetts at the intersection between Boston and Providence, RI. Our small progressive congregation, whose members come from a broad spectrum of Jewish backgrounds, welcome and celebrate where each individual is along their spiritual path. We are a ‘family of friends’ who value community, family and chavurah.
We are looking for a full time Rabbi or Cantor to serve the religious, spiritual, educational, and emotional needs of the congregation and sometimes the larger community with inspirational leadership. Someone with acceptance of interfaith and same sex couples in all aspects of Jewish life, including weddings, b’nai mitzvot, funerals and other life events. Someone with experience working collaboratively with lay leadership. The Rabbi will be instrumental in shaping and modeling the congregation’s religious and spiritual values for congregants and for the community.
· Lead services
Saturday morning services with Torah reading
Shabbat Rishona childrens service 1st Saturday of month
High Holidays with cantorial soloist
Holidays (Sukkot, Simchat Torah, Hanukkah, Purim, Pesach, Shavout)
· Offer a sermon/teaching of current Torah reading/discussion of Torah reading
· Coordinate participation in weekly services
· Plan High Holiday services including coordination with cantorial soloist/musical accompaniment (The congregation also hires a High Holy Day cantor/cantorial soloist, the incumbent has served the congregation for over 12 years)
· Lead, through the cantorial soloist, musicians, and choir, the congregation’s ongoing and engaged exploration of religious and spiritual musical expression and foster a high standard of music in our services and activities
· Support the development and instruction of lay leaders to lead additional services
· Conduct life cycle rituals (birth/naming/brit, funerals, b’nai mitzvah, weddings, conversion)
· Hanukkah lighting of the Menorah on Taunton Green
· Set policy and supervise Kashrut standards for the synagogue and its kitchen facilities, in collaboration with the religious practices committee
· Principal of religious school including developing curriculum for pre-school through B’nai Mitzvah and high school/madrichim with social action emphasis
· Supervision of religious school faculty members
· Provide general oversight of b’nai mitzvah program, including classroom lessons, private tutoring, support and counseling for our b’nai mitzvah students and families
· Provide adult education programs based on membership requests
· Educate members and community on history, culture, custom, Torah, Israel, religion, spirituality, and other aspects of Jewish life
· Personal professional development. Attend workshops, classes, and training for professional development
· Develop and coordinate family educational and holiday programs
· Serve on Religious Practices committee, guiding the decision-making process and monitor agreed upon practices and addressing questions of a practical, spiritual and/or social nature
Pastoral and Outreach
· Bikkur Holim- care of the sick, including visiting Jewish residents of local nursing or assisted living facilities and those hospitalized
· Offer support and counseling in pre-marital, marital, divorce, mourning and other life cycle circumstances. Be available, as is practical, during reasonable office hours, for consultation
· Attend shiva and/or ensure attendance of lay leaders
· Create sense of community within the congregation and in the broader community; encourage inter-Judaic and inter-faith respect and understanding for Judaism
· Attend meetings and participate in events of various community and Jewish organizations
· Member of Greater Taunton Clergy Association, Massachusetts Board of Rabbis
· Attend monthly Board of Directors meeting, provide monthly report of rabbinical activities
· Attend appropriate community meetings as rabbinical representative of congregation
· Manage significant sections of monthly newsletter, website, Facebook page
· Participate in fundraising activities for the congregation
· Meet with prospective members and ensure they are warmly welcomed into the community; encourage members to play an active role
· Compassionate, accepting of diversity, warmth, energetic, creative
· Ability to interpret Judaism in meaningful and relevant ways
· Openness to all, including inter faith families, LGBTQ individuals, people with special needs
· Ability to foster a sense of community within membership
· Passion for education
· Desire to engage community, hands on attitude in continuing to grow our congregation
WHO WE ARE
Congregation Agudath Achim is an independent, progressive community synagogue founded over 100 years ago by primarily Russian immigrants. We are proud of our diverse, eclectic and welcoming community where we celebrate the many individual Jewish traditions which contribute to making our synagogue a true family.
Our synagogue is in the town of Taunton, Massachusetts. Our community includes the towns of Taunton, Raynham, Lakeville, Norton, Easton, Middleboro, Mansfield, Dighton, Rehoboth, Freetown, Bridgewater, and Berkley. We are located approximately 50 miles south of Boston and 30 miles east of Providence, RI or Cape Cod.
Our members come from a wide variety of Jewish tradition, primarily Reform but many from Conservative, inter-faith and secular backgrounds. While our founders included almost exclusively Russian immigrants, we now celebrate the diversity of our community which includes families from Portugal, Honduras, Ukraine and Israel.
Ordained Rabbi or Cantor/educator
includes parsonage, health insurance, professional/educational allowances. Our congregation does not provide housing but includes parsonage in the compensation package.
Congregation Agudath Achim