Make an impact on Jewish student life by joining Hillel at Binghamton as the Senior Jewish Educator to help enrich the lives of students and shape the future of Jewish life on campus. As an authentic Jewish teacher, you will provide leadership for the Hillel community through grassroots community organizing, spiritual connection, and community engagement. As the Senior Jewish Educator, you will develop and maintain relationships with students less engaged with Jewish life and will increase the level of involvement and commitment of students in all aspects of Jewish life on campus. Embrace your magnetic personality to inspire students to make Judaism integral to their life choices and expressed Jewish values.
What You’ll Do
• Identify needs of the Jewish communities on campus that are underserved and develop strategies for meeting these needs with proven community organizing and outreach methods.
• Build relationships with approximately 180 – 200 students from diverse backgrounds through meaningful conversations and by creating connections to opportunities to participate in Jewish life on campus. A significant portion of these students should be previously uninvolved in Jewish life.
• Mentor student interns and volunteers as they contribute to Hillel and the campus community.
• Develop and support vibrant Jewish experiences, one-on-one or small group learning, and educational programs, including immersive trips, as students find relevant. Pilot creative, new educational approaches and initiatives on campus.
• Work with junior level staff on their own Jewish knowledge, self-confidence and educational skills.
• Collaborate with other Hillel senior level staff to shape and develop the mission and educational vision of Hillel at Binghamton.
• Develop and nurture relationships with University student life, religious life staff, and the local Jewish community.
• Oversee student visioning and implementation of Shabbat and holiday celebrations.
What You've Accomplished
• Rabbinic ordination or an advanced degree in Jewish studies, Jewish education or a related field.
• 4+ years of relevant work experience. Experience in grassroots community organizing, Hillel, youth movements, camping, or experiential Jewish education is helpful.
• Proven success in community building and engagement, and previous experience in program visioning and implementation.
• Training and experience in counseling, administration, development/fundraising is desirable.
What You'll Bring to the Job
• A strong knowledge base of Jewish content, ranging from traditional Jewish texts to contemporary Jewish wisdom, culture and unconventional Jewish sources.
• Expertise in leading complex conversations about Judaism and Israel in a way that is approachable and meets students at various points in their personal Jewish journeys.
• A commitment to creating an inclusive, vibrant and pluralistic Jewish community.
• A strong entrepreneurial spirit. Things may not always go according to plan, but you must be willing to take risks and learn from your wins as well as your losses.
• Confidence initiating and running programs, and comfort asking questions.
• Creative problem-solving, proactive communication, and collaboration.
• Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel.
What You'll Receive
• Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $90,000-$110,000.
• A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
• Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
• Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel.
About Hillel at Binghamton
Hillel at Binghamton sits in the midst of Binghamton University, one of the four major centers of the State University of New York system, and is located just 3.5 hour drive from NY. The campus boasts a large Jewish population totaling 4000 Jewish students, out of an overall student population of 17,000 undergraduates and graduate students, respectively, and is hope to Center for Israel Studies, one of the largest centers for Israel studies outside the State of Israel. Moreover, the city of Binghamton also has a small Jewish community with whom Hillel at Binghamton works to engage in its programming.
Jewish students at Binghamton are diverse in their backgrounds and interests, and distinguished by their desire for high caliber programming. Hillel at Binghamton currently serves 1500 students through an impressive array of weekly programming that provides a variety of choices and opportunities for connecting students to those aspects of Judaism to which they feel closest or want to explore, and to providing leadership opportunities for those who seek them. It achieves this through a well organized, student-driven structure with three (3) programming areas - Pluralism, Programming and Development -- subdivided into sixteen (16) subgroups focused on specific programming areas, under the guidance of a small full time staff.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with students that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel at Binghamton is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.Hillel.org/Jobs and include your resume and cover letter.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/zmxw5k4f62zsh4zf