We are looking for an enthusiastic educator to join our team as full-time Director of Youth and Family Engagement. The Director will oversee all major touchpoints with our kindergarten through high school students and their families, including our Religious School (held on Thursday afternoons and Sunday mornings), Shabbat and holiday programs for youth and families, teen learning program, and youth groups. This position will report to a member of Beth El’s clergy and partner closely with our clergy team, professional staff, and lay leaders to implement a vision for engaging and enriching this essential and thriving segment of our community.
Our Team Values and You
Our team fosters a culture of experimentation and reflection, celebrating creativity and embracing new ideas. We share one another’s successes and support one another through disappointments. We take initiative and pitch in to help each other.
In looking for a Director of Youth and Family Engagement, we are looking for someone who embraces these values and is eager to grow and learn with us as we work to serve our community. Our ideal new team member is a leader who is passionate about their work and eager to connect with and nurture our community members.
Build on and enhance our existing warm, inclusive, nourishing culture for all youth and families at Beth El through
Youth and Family Engagement
- Cultivate meaningful connections and relationships with Beth El youth and families, both Religious School and day school
- Design full calendar of youth-related educational and social programming for children (K-7th grade) and their families throughout the year, including helping to organize and attend (some) of our Shabbat and holiday programs oriented toward families
- Oversee Shabbat and holiday youth services, “Tot Shabbat” (0-5) and “Family Kehillah” (6-12), as well as implementing youth services for high holidays
- Clear and effective communication within our Youth Community and congregation
- Supervise USY/Teen advisor
- Religious School leadership and operations
- Assess, design, and implement our Religious School Curriculum, in collaboration with the clergy and Religious School Board
- Hire, train, and supervise teachers, learning specialists, teaching assistants, and other Religious School staff
- Actively recruit and try to grow our Religious School population, including meeting with prospective families
- Collaborate with clergy on weekly Teen Learning Program
- Supervise Department’s part-time Administrative Coordinator
- Set and manage Youth and Family Engagement Department budget
- Additional responsibilities as member of Beth El staff as they arise
This position is primarily in-person at Beth El, with some ability to work remotely. Beth El abides by recommended COVID-19 protocols in an effort to create a safe environment for our staff and all visitors. All employees must be fully vaccinated.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced educator and leader, with a master’s degree in education/related field or significant experience in synagogue youth education and engagement. The candidate will have a depth of Jewish knowledge, commitment to Jewish values, and possess strong communication and organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Familiarity with Google Suite, Zoom, and Slack are a plus.
About Beth El Synagogue Center
Beth El Synagogue Center is a vibrant, egalitarian community located in Westchester County, just thirty minutes from Manhattan. We pride ourselves on being a congregation of learners-- from our enriching nursery school to our innovative adult learning opportunities, education and transformative Jewish experiences are at the core of everything we do.