Focusing on people rather than programs, the Assistant Rabbi at Adath Israel will strive to engage all members of the synagogue community and support the Senior Rabbi. The Assistant Rabbi will help synagogue members feel engaged and valued, while making Judaism relevant to their lives.
The Assistant Rabbi will assist and support the Senior Rabbi. Key areas of focus for this position will include:
- To spend intentionally constructed time with members inside and outside of the synagogue to develop a deep relationship between the members, the shul and Judaism
- To plan and deliver a broad variety of educational, cultural and social programs
- To share rabbinic and pastoral activities, in accordance with the Senior Rabbi’s vision and availability
- To be an integral member of the religious leadership team
- To engage and become connected with the broader community
- To provide support to the Senior Rabbi in attracting and maintaining members in the synagogue
The position will include the following areas:
Rabbinic & Pastoral
- Regular presence at weekday and Shabbat services
- Delivering sermons and shiurim
- Leading services
- Officiating at lifecycle events (e.g., baby namings, Britot, Bnai Mitzvah, hanging of mezuzot, shivas, weddings and funerals)
- Educating engaged and newly married couplesPastoral visits (e.g., hospital and home)
- Attending community events
- Working with Bar/Bat Mitzvah children on Divrei Torah
- Kashrut supervision for dairy kitchen
- Developing new ideas to engage, teach, and learn
Young Adult Members
- Create engaging programs for young adults and young married couples
- Home Shabbat and Yom Tov entertaining
- Devising interesting religious/educational/cultural/social activities
- Organizing regular and periodic communal educational programs
- Giving shiurim and developing new programs for individuals and groups
- Networking with other rabbis to bring speakers and events to the community
- Engaging and identifying possible guest speakers to promote the needs of the shul
- To welcome, befriend, and teach; to create a vibrant, caring, and stimulating Jewish life in the community
- Interact with members of the community, particularly those who tend not to engage in regular activities, irrespective of their level of religious observance
- Connect with groups who meet on our premises
- Recruit and welcome new members and help them integrate into the community
- Help in all aspects of running the synagogue
- To actively promote the work of the synagogue, and to foster a positive attitude towards Israel and Zionism.
- Serve the interests of the larger community, both Jewish and civic
- The Assistant Rabbi reports directly to the Senior Rabbi.
- Ordination from a recognized institution
- Undergraduate Degree
- Personal warmth, the ability to relate in a relaxed and caring way to people of various backgrounds
- A love of teaching and ability to communicate the principles of Torah and Jewish values
- Preparedness to entertain and socialize on Shabbat and Holidays
- Ability to work with the various members of the lay and executive team in a professional manner
- Willingness to develop skills and undergo training as necessary
- Driver’s license
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Ability to inspire confidence and gain trust
- Comfort in dealing with ambiguity
- Organizing events and programs
- Teaching young adults
- Pastoral work
- Musical talent a plus
About Adath Israel Congregation
Adath Israel is a vibrant, active, multi-generational community rooted in traditional Conservative Judaism.
Our Mission is to inspire meaningful lives through deep engagement with God, Torah, Israel, and Chesed. Adath Israel is blessed with the resources of a large synagogue, but the feeling of a close-knit community.
With 115 years of history, we have a solid foundation upon which we continue to build for the Jewish future.
Our Congregation goes back to the turn of the 20th Century when Jewish immigrants from Roumania sought refuge from the strangeness of their new environment. Today, our members and guests come from across the Toronto area to join in our uplifting services and participate in our programs that range from pre-nursery school to Young Family events all the way to Club L’Chayim for our active and engaged seniors.
At Adath Israel, Judaism comes alive and brings meaning to your life. There really is something for everyone.