Our one hundred year old, unaffiliated, multi-generational, inclusive community is looking for a rabbi or cantor who will inspire us with services emphasizing spirituality and music, who will teach us all — adults, Hebrew school students, and those approaching Bar/Bat Mitzvah — and will embrace our diversity.
We are a congregation of roughly 100 families in the city of Rockland, the heart of mid-coast Maine, two hours up the coast from Portland. As the only Jewish organization for 50 miles in any direction, Adas Yoshuron is geographically mandated to be 50% JCC, 50% shul. We are an egalitarian synagogue, we recognize patrilineal descent, non-Jewish spouses are full members of the congregation, and we celebrate same-sex and interfaith marriages in our sanctuary.
- Leading services for the High Holidays and other major and minor holidays, and 2 or 3 Shabbat services across two weekends per month. While we follow traditional liturgy, we seek a leader who will also take the time to translate key prayers and concepts during services, maintaining the tradition while making the service more accessible.
- Participating in Hebrew School at least once per month and teaching adults twice per month
- Training Bar/Bat mitzvah students (in an average year we will celebrate two b’nai mitzvah)
- Officiating at life cycle events, including same-sex marriages
- Representing our community in the larger religious and secular communities of mid-coast Maine
- Inspiring our members to social action
- Leyning Torah
- Welcoming non-Jewish spouses, increasing their knowledge of Judaism and helping those who wish to convert
Candidates must be ordained by a recognized seminary or rabbinic or cantorial training program.
To be considered, send a resume, including three references, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to include personal statements, articles, and links to video and audio recordings. You can learn more about Adas Yoshuron at http://adasyoshuron.org; look for “Information for candidates” in the middle of the page.
MidCoast Maine provides world-renowned coastlines and beaches, quaint downtown villages and active working and recreational waterfronts, mountains, biking and hiking trails, organic foods and farmers markets. In the heart of MidCoast Maine is Rockland, Maine’s most up and coming city, boasting a diverse and vibrant local business, professional, residential and vacation community. The prominence of visual arts based businesses, institutions and practitioners has contributed to Rockland’s reputation as a unique, creative walkable community and the premier destination for experiencing cultural activities in Maine. Residents and visitors alike enjoy Rockland’s authentic working waterfront, its many and varied art galleries, movie theatres, unique shopping and superb dining experiences. Just two hours north of Portland, two hours south of Bar Harbor and in close proximity to Boston, Rockland offers a diverse mix or art, culture, economics and recreation.
Candidates must be ordained by a recognized seminary or rabbinic or cantorial training program, accept patrilineal descent, and officiate at interfaith weddings.
We are offering a salary of $60,000 (plus benefits) for a flexible, 2/3-time position. Our preference is for a candidate who will settle in the area, become part of the community, and grow our congregation.
About Adas Yoshuron
Learn more about our congregation at adasyoshuron.org and click on "Information for Candidates" in the middle of the page for more about the position.