About Temple B'nai Israel, Victoria, Texas
For a century and a half, Temple B’nai Israel has provided a house of worship, education, and camaraderie to Jews in and around Victoria, as well as those just passing through. As early as 1849 local Jewish services were conducted by rabbis from Houston, Galveston, and New Orleans. Congregation B'nai Israel was organized in 1858. In 1876, Jewish women founded the Hebrew Ladies’ Benevolent Society a Jewish Children’s Aid Society. A chapter of B’nai B’rith, later named in honor of prominent Jewish grocer Max Bettin, was organized in 1875. The Victoria Jewish population peaked around 1920 at 120 and the temple building was constructed serving both the Reform and Orthodox Jewish communities . Through the years many of our members have passed on and the children of our members, and the children of those children have left Victoria. In spite of our small number, we strive to hold High Holy Day Services with visiting rabbis during Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur and our congregation enjoy our traditional Yom Kippur break-fast and community Passover Seder.